Boulder, CO – Philadelphia, PA – New Jersey Shore – Washington, DC – Richmond, VA – Asheville, NC – Sayre, PA (visits to Gettysburg, Finger Lakes, Geneseo, Niagara Falls), – Minneapolis, MN – Nisswa, MN
It’s now August 8th, 2014. The last time you heard from us we wrote about Alison flying home to Minnesota to attend a conference while I stayed for a week in Boulder enjoying vegan junk food, reading and exploring the Rocky Mountains a bit.
Now we are both back in Minnesota, relaxing at Alison’s family summer home (we call it a cabin, but it is a legit house!) in the northern lakes area near Nisswa, MN.
Getting back to Minnesota involved a bit of travel around the East Coast. You see, my cousin was getting married on the Jersey Shore, which prompted our whole adventure back East. Since we were driving to Jersey, we decided to spend a few weeks catching up with friends and family.
We are so used to driving long distances now that the idea of driving across the country is no big deal, it is actually sorta fun!
Since leaving Boulder, CO on June 24th, 2014 – I picked up Alison from the Denver airport upon her return from Minneapolis and we journeyed eastward.
What did we do? Here goes:
1. Spent a few days in Philadelphia to visit my sister and her family, along with many family members who traveled in for the upcoming wedding of my cousin, Rohini and her partner Kevin.
2. Spent a sunny and fun weekend at The Jersey Shore to attend my cousin’s wedding. The venue was awesome, and our motel was right on the beach!
3. Went back to Philly to spend more time with my sister and family. We also visited one of my good friends from college, Matt, his wife Andrea and his two kids (the main draw was to taste Matt’s fine homebrew!).
4. Drove down to Washington DC to visit my cousin, Jaya, over the July 4th weekend, along with some epic fireworks in the nation’s capital.
5. Drove further down to Richmond, VA to see my aunt and uncle.
6. Drove way further down to Asheville, NC to visit Alison’s close friends Kristy and Seth and their two adorable kiddos. We spent about five days in Asheville, a great little hippy town nestled in the Smoky Mountains. We will write a more detailed post about Asheville.
7. Drove back up to Sayre, PA – my hometown! – to spend time with my mom and dad. We also visited Josh’s family (my sister’s husband and family) in upstate NY near Geneseo, NY….and stopped to visit my friend Dan and Gettysburg National Memorial along the way.
8. Drove up to Niagara Falls, en route to Minnesota.
9. Drove over to Minnesota, via Chicago, were we met up with two cousins, Rohini (whose marriage we just attended) and Sharanya. They are both working in Chicago now.
10. Finally we arrived in Minnesota to spend time with Alison’s family, first staying in Minneapolis and then heading up north to Nisswa – in the heart of Minnesota lake country! Our highlight of the trip has been a five day adventure in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness! This is quite possibly Alison’s favorite place on Earth and now I know why!
We will write a separate post about the Boundary Waters with a ton of photos.
So…here we are in Nisswa, where we have been relaxing for about two weeks.
Where do we go from here?
On Monday we head out to:
1. Glacier National Park, via Balaton, MN (to visit Alison’s family) and across South Dakota (to see the Badlands, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore and of course…the Corn Palace and Wall Drug!). Last time I went to the Corn Palace, the little ice cream parlor had high quality vegan ice cream…I hope they still do!
From there we plan to head south to Yellowstone and the Tetons, before making our way out to the San Francisco area to meet with my brother and his family, and prep for our biggest adventure of the trip so far…more on that in a future post!